Got into a … ‘debate’ the other day with one of my oldest friends about feminism. I was drunk and I never drink, I don’t handle it well. She still thinks feminism is something to do with lesbians and/or ugly girls. I think there are a thousand things wrong with that.
My thoughts on feminism are basically:
1. It’s not about man hating, or a way to ‘justify’ being single. I think it’s kind of an insult to those that fought for - and are still fighting for - female equality to use it as a way to justify not doing or being anything ‘male’ related.
2. With rights come responsibility. I know that girls have to prove themselves more often than men in certain situations, I know that a lot of industries are dominated by men, and I know that isn’t fair. I also know that nobody - male, female, black, white - can expect things to just happen for them. You do need to work for things, and to assume that being female means you should be entitled to things before men because of years of oppression undermines your own logic surely ?
3. It’s open to interpretation, that’s the very nature of any ‘liberating’ [?] movement…
4. Feminism is partly about female unity, but that doesn’t mean I have to like every single girl in the world. I’m a human being, and like everyone else there are some people - male or female - that will fuck me off. To consider myself a feminist I don’t have to have only positive things to say about girl stuff. I’m not into bullying, nor am I into ‘doing it for the male benefit’, but really it’s none of my business. I’m not into anything else that singles a person out because everyone is entitled live their life the way they choose. At the end of the day, who the fuck am I to pass judgement ?
I won’t love everything girl for the sake of ‘feminism’ though, because that’s bordering into positive discrimination territory and being patronized as an offset of being female is not something Emily Davison died for.
5. You don’t have to listen to bands associated with the riot grrrl movement.
6. You don’t have to talk about feminism or women’s issues all the time if you don’t want to… but please call someone out on being sexist [or racist, or ageist, or fascist, or any other kind of cuntish thing a person can be] because people act that way because they think they can get away with it. Let them know you’re not impressed…
7. Feminism isn’t exclusive to certain people. If a person is not ‘fashionalt’ or ‘sub culture’ friendly, you can’t just exclude them. If you do then you’re a fucking asshole… someone can be into Hannah Montana, and look like Hannah Montana, and act like Hannah Montana [can’t think of any good examples right now] and be just as into feminism as you are.
8. It’s not excuse for something, it’s a belief, a view point, “the radical notion that women are people”. Just because things are better for women in the UK than they were 60 years ago doesn’t mean women are equal, and it doesn’t mean that there aren’t women elsewhere suffering because they were born female.
There are loads more things I think about this, there are loads of things I think about everything. Feminism is fashionable right now, which is a good thing [I hope].
My opinion is just my opinion; and just like yours it is not gospel but it’s not invalid… and it’s always interesting to hear what other people think.